3301 King Street, Berkeley, CA 94703(510) 655-3660
The Progressive Missionary Baptist Church was organized on January 5, 1935 by a group of thirty-five devout Christians who, at God's command, madethe initial step in becoming the "Friendly Church on the Avenue."
The Church is located in the area once known as the old city of Lorin, California. It covered the areas from Adeline & 63rd Street down to Adeline & Ashby Avenue. The Lorin area once served as the major transportation "nexus" of the east bay for commuters and travelers on their way to the gold fields and the west bay. The Lorin District was a thriving business center, especially after the San Francisco fire. People would ride the Southern Pacific Train to the original Lorin Station, from Ashby to Alcatraz, which was a "major merchandising hub." The Lorin District was annexed to Berkeley by an election held on May 11, 1892.
Lorin-Lincoln Hall was built in the 1890's. It served as a dance hall that could be converted into a meeting hall. The hall was rented for many events by various organizations, including Progressive Baptist Church in the 1940's. The building was purchased by the Church and was converted from a theater and dance hall to a house of worship. Since the beginning of the church, this building has been purchased, paid for, and dedicated to God.
Under the dynamic leadership of the late Pastor Edward Stovall, Progressive's membership increased and more space was needed. The Church purchased five lots, adjacent to the existing edifice, and remodeled the original building equipping it with an organ, three pianos, a dinning room, kitchen, ladies lounges, and an outdoor sign.
As membership further increased, the need for a larger edifice was met in 1959 by the addition of a Library, Nursery, classrooms, Baptistery, Choir rooms and an Usher's Room.
A new building was completed in1964 and was named as The Stovall Center in honor of our late Pastor. Clear title was acquired to all property in 1973.
In September 22, 1977 Dr. Earl C. Stuckey, Sr. was elected Pastor and continues to serve in that capacity.